(TFT) Character Progression

>I've always wondered what would happen if RPG's had used this approach
>instead of the endless and eternal power gain they have now. You know the
>bottomless pit of experience point gain. Where one has to kill one million
>average characters to get that next point.
>
>David Michael Grouchy II

The answer may be in my other favorite RPG du jour - Savage Worlds

1) Session-based experience points - flat progression
2) PCs and important NPCs get three wounds, everyone else gets one

Both concepts of which I would like to adopt in any game I play.

They can be easily summed up as:

1) Every n sessions, you "level-up"
2) Non-essential characters are taken out with a good solid hit.