RE: (TFT)What happend to the Mnoren?

< big grin >

Okay, I "get" it!

Let's make it offical.

Jay Carlisle's New Years Resolution for 2008 is to present his materal in a more clear and professional manner.

> As per our previous discussions I will be using the Magnitude to Minutia
> method in diagrams of my reasoning.

[From Chris Crawford's work on Storytron]

Storytronics uses a special number system for its numbers. Regular old everyday numbers can be anything at all: -87, +19.3823, or +27,295,008. I have learned over the years that storybuilders can become terribly confused by different systems of units made possible by such a system. Do you multiply somebody&#8217;s weight in kilograms by their height in inches &#8211; or was it meters? It can become awfully confusing dealing with such a wide range of numbers. So we use a different kind of number that represents something akin to the notion of percentiles. Numbers in Storytronics range from -1.00 to +1.00. In this number system, -1.00 represents that absolute nadir, the lowest possible value anybody could reasonably have. +1.00 represents the zenith, the acme, the summit, the highest possible value that anybody could reasonably have. And 0.00 represents the average value for most people.

For example, consider a person's weight. We could use a number system using kilograms to measure a person's weight. So if a person weighed 80 kg, then we'd put 80 into his HeavyLight value. Instead, we use a different system. Let's just say that the average person weighs 70 kg, and the fattest person you could reasonably expect to encounter would weight 150 kg. The skinniest person, I suppose, would be a newborn baby weighing maybe 2 kg. So the newborn baby would get a HeavyLight value of -1.00, the average person would get 0.00, and the 150 kg fatty would get +1.00. If somebody weighed 100 kg, they would get a HeavyLight value of about +0.30. A 60 kg person would get a HeavyLight value of about -0.20.

This system may seem oddball, but it has the advantage that you never need to worry about numbers getting really crazy on you. You always know that every one of these numbers falls between -1.00 and +1.00. That makes it much easier to figure out your inclination scripts. Unfortunately, it creates a new problem: how can we be sure that the number always stays inside those limits?

http://storytron.com/reference/Storytronics_Up_Close/How_It_Works/BNumbers.htm

> These posts over the next week will be
> short, as I hope to keep a tight focus on the points at hand. My conclusion
> will try to make the counterstatement that Cidri was not so much a mistake in
> the objective sense as the subjective experience of saying ''cidri was a
> mistake'' liberates the GM to do what ever they feel is right.
>
> Let us proceed shall we?

Please!
Shall.

> David Michael Grouchy II