Re: (TFT)What happend to the Mnoren?

Funny thing - what I like about TFT is the opposite of what you like about
it.

1. TFT provides a good tough basic set of rules. Simple rules, yes, but not
so simple as to require playing in a fudge-heavy manner. Take the Talents. They
describe what the character can do, can't do, and can do but only poorly.
They're fixed; changing them changes the world. I have changed Talents for my own
game, but this is deliberate, major surgery to make the game fit my
gameworld. Letting a player research & create a new Talent is something I would never,
ever, EVER do.

Likewise what a character can & can't do is fixed by his stats (as modified
by Talents) and the rolls against stats (ditto).

2. It's very easy to play your character sheet because there's not so much
that you loose track of it. At the same time, there's enough there that you
don't have to go "beyond" your character sheet.

The latest version of D&D is actually a lot like this too: In some ways it's
very TFT-like, with Fighters who aren't cookie-cutters, but who can be
customized by how stats are assigned, by Feats, and by the choice of weapons & armor.
The big problem I have with D&D is the magic system: Individual spells are
way too powerful, and so even with tight rationing of spells characters end up
with magic (and other outre abilities) coming out of their ears. Also the way D&
D magic is set up encourages hyperfocus and hyper-specialization. The thing I
like most about TFT is that a wizard needs all three stats and so is pushed
toward being a more "well-rounded" sort.

3. Relatively abstract combat. I have little use for "realistic" combat.
Real-world combat follows the horror-show rule of "ANYone can die at ANY time" -
and horror is the last thing I want in my entertainment thankyouverymuch. I
also want to provide my players with lots of combat (fun!) while at the same time
avoiding PC death (a real drag).

Now TFT does have this unfortunate (in my view) tendency toward gritty
"realistic" combat, and most of my house rules are aimed at pushing it away from
this tendency. Fortunately TFT is also an elegantly robust system that can take
well to house rules producing a more cinematic, swashbuckling feel to combat.

I prefer Middle Earth, or the Star Wars movies, to Lankhmar. I also prefer my
player's PCs to be heroes who are distinctly different from and superior to
the ordinary joes of the world. I do this in part by giving them a higher
starting total and in part by giving hero-type PCs twice as many points in talents
as mundane joe NPCs.

(It's great entertainment in certain quarters to make fun of how hard it is
to kill D&D characters. But D&D is actually overly-lethal, with its deadliness
covered by the kludge of "raise dead" magic. I prefer a game with a lifetime
survival rate of 50% or so for career adventurers. And to get that in D&D
requires either ignoring all the times you die but "get better" or else giving the
lethality knob a hard counterclockwise twist.)

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow