RE: (TFT) THE LISTS funniest quotes

> From: selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:34:53 +0800
> Subject: (TFT) THE LISTS funniest quotes
>
> I'm crawlin around in search and fid this gem
>
> the whole thing is here...
>
> http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0609/msg00051.html

> Well worth the read in case ya missed it the first time but I mention it
cause I got a good belly laugh out of it. Remember any others?

> > To: tft@brainiac.com
> > Subject: Re: (TFT) TFT Healing
> > From: ErolB1@aol.com
> > Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:30:04 EDT

> >   Similarly, if I'm in a high-lethality game where one bad roll can kill
my PC
> > right out of the gate, then I can only view my PC as being bugshit crazy
> > even CONSIDER an adventuring career. And I have a limited ability to
roleplay
> > such bugshit crazy characters. If it's the only gaming available, then
what I
> > tend to do is not roleplay the PC but just treat him as a token.<<

   Actually I didn't enjoy having my playing style described with such a
vulgar word in the least.  It caused me some bit of consternation at the time,
as I became concerned that the post would stand out as a marker for the moment
when the TFT news group changed from a place where reasoned discussion was the
unspoken rule to an unstable bastion of emotion and name calling like the rest
of the internet.  You know what I mean.  A place where all someone has to do
is _sound_ funny and everyone will defer to them as though they are right.

   I tried to counter with this story.  I did so because I felt it would be
more polite and respectful not to challenge Erols style of posts head on, and
because I had confidence that the more thoughtful members of the group would
perceive in this story a direct rebuttal of the idea that one bad move can
kill a character.  Since then it has saddened me to no end to realize that no
one noticed and the news group has been mostly about the sound and the fury
ever after.  It is the main reason I don't post much at all anymore, and
havent' for over a year.

The story I countered with back in September 2006
http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0609/msg00055.html

     Let me tell you about this guy I knew.  He showed me his pride and joy,
his Paladin Lord.  He had been playing this D&D character for years.  He had
so much treasure and equipment it took twelve sheets of paper to list it all.
He told me "This guy is so good, he can beat six baalrogs single handedly."  I
was interested so I examined the sheets a little closer and told him I could
beat this Paladin Lord with just six baalrogs.
     We arranged a time and place to have it out with paper and pencils.  He
started getting nervous and saying things like...
    "I want all my equipment to act like it always has.  I don't want any of
the magic rules to suddenly change under my feet.  I don't want to be anywhere
strange; in fact, I want to start out in the bedroom of my own castle in my
own world.  I don't want..."
    "Relax, it'll be a fair fight." I said.  "You're fully armed and armored,
standing in the master bedroom of your castle when a portal opens up in one
wall.  Through the portal you see a one hundred foot by one hundred foot stone
platform, floating in the middle of the abyss.  It comes flush right up to
your wall.  Standing on the opposite side are six baalrogs, waiting.  What do
you do?"
    "I ready my holy avenger and close to attack."
    "The six baalrogs combine their telekinesis and toss you into the abyss
where your character is lost forever."
    "What!?"  he said.
    "I added up the encumbrance total of all twelve sheets of loot you have
there, and the combined telekinesis of six baalrogs can lift more than that.
See here... and the beginning of the section on Demons where it says abilities
all demons have?"
    He checked the numbers and admitted defeat.  It was a new experience for
him.  He had never been beaten by encumbrance before.  I have found that the
basics are usually the best way to beat the high and mighty.

In conclusion I'm saying that ''fair'' is more important that what any one
person feels ''crazy'' is.         David Michael Grouchy II