Re: (TFT) HT's views on complexity

OK, I looked it up, and the reference is not quite as clear as I remember it.
(in my head it sounded like GURPS was the Bastard stepchild of TFT and
Champions)
In the introductipon (Page 5, Basic Set, Third Edition, Revised) SJ remarks:
Several Years ago, I designed my first fantasy roleplaying system [edit-
footnote references TFT released in several products from 1977-1980].  It was
good, but it had flaws.  For one thing, like other RPGs, it "grew" from a
simple set of rules, and had many inconsistencies. And though it had the
potential to be a universal system, it was never developed past the basic
"fantasy" game world.
[snip]
One important influence was Hero Games' Champions, for the flexibility of its
character-creation system.  Another was . . .  [Other games are then listed as
well]

Please excuse any typos. they were probably mine, not SJ's.
John

PS, happy new year.

-- "John J Hyland" <johnnyboytmm@juno.com> wrote:
In my GURPS book (3E) I seem to recall SJ mentions the inspiration for GURPS
coming from TFT and Champions.  Which I think describes GURPs pretty neatly.
When I am next upstairs I'll look for the quote.