RE: (TFT) week 2

That modularity is really part of the beauty of TFT.  You can introduce the
combat system with arena combat, and characters that take about 12 seconds to
make. St, Dx, Weapon(s), and Armor, and you are good to go.
I would recommend using the AM weapons and Armor, and dodge and defend rules,
rather than the Melee version (while I appreciate the mechanical difference
between dodge and defend seems cool in an arena game, it does not translate
well, and slows down combat, IMO)  though I'd not use peculiar weapons at
first, or fine plate.
After a couple of arena combats, the plusses (fast, simple, tactical, fun) and
minusses (brutally deadly) of TFT combat should be remarkably clear to any
gamer.  This will lead the rational ones to limit their character's
involvement in combat, esp combat to the death, once you start a campaign -
assuming they start to invest in the character.  It can also lead to fast and
furious replacement of characters in a heavy combat to the death type game.
YMMV, my games always went toward option one.
Wizards are a little different, what works in a wizard duel is, IME, very
different from what helps support a party of adventurers.  I think if you run
n arena combat between a group of players (including one or more wizards) and
a similar group of NPC opponents that might become clear.  In a wizard duel,
you just don't see as much 1hex fire, rope, blur, speed movement, aid, etc. as
you might in a party type setting.  Or at least I see different spell choics,
maybe my experiences are unusual.
John

-- David Michael Grouchy II <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com> wrote:
>  My advice would be to just introduce the guys to arena combat using
> Melee/Adv Melee and then to Wizard/Adv Wizard before attempting any
> role-playing.
>
> Aidan

   I agree one hundred percent, with Aidan on this.

David Michael Grouchy II.