Re: (TFT) Some Thoughts on HTH

Erol,

All good questions. I'm sure there's some other martial artists on the list that can help out.

First, let's define just what HTH is supposed to represent. If it is grappling, let's just call it that. You can strike and kick without grappling and/or falling to the floor. Grappling can be the "stand up" kind like aikijujutsu/aikido or "ground fighting" like wrestling/brazilian jujutsu. Are both HTH in TFT? You can attack with a knife without grappling. You can use a knife, a stick and probably even a short sword in HTH, if standing or on the ground in HTH. Knives in HTH should be particularly dangerous. Sticks can be used to choke and pummel, as could the pommel of a sword. I would think a short sword (26" over all with an 18"-20" blade) could still be used.

As for why a +4 DX to hit, I think it is easier to hit if you're grappling and it allows for targeted shots. Think of two warriors "embracing" while attacking with knives. In "real life", they both are probably dead. In fantasy gaming, one may get a hit in first. First rule about knife fighting is- never get in one! I don't know if there is a second rule.

Apart from edged weapons in HTH, very little damage can be USUALLY be done in HTH unless you are trained. Sure, someone could mount the opponent and bash his head into the floor until it comes apart but a "stun" or something usually precedes this. Training usually teaches how to hit in close quarters, hit vital or particularly effective targets, pressure points, choking, joint locks/joint tearing and throws. This is what UC talents represent.

For entering or opposing entry into HTH, UC talents should also play an important role. If I'm UC 1 and the other guy is untrained, I should be able to enter HTH more easily (all things otherwise being equal) and I should be able to avoid his attempt at HTH more easily than an untrained person. An untrained guy rushing a trained stand up grappler, or even a good striker, is in trouble. "Entering" into what TFT calls HTH is a skill that is taught in many martial arts. If I'm a striker, without a lot of grappling skills, I'm going to avoid going to the ground with the skills I have. Grapplers, OTOH, who may not strike well, attempt to enter and take the opponent to the ground. With skilled fighters, all of this could be easily represented by modifying die rolls based upon the differences in the levels of training.

UC talents, whether in HTH or not, should allow for more damage, at least against unarmored or lightly armored opponents. Against armored opponents, damage from striking could/should be limited for chainmail and above, although targeted striking to "vulnerable" and unarmored targets could be considered. I suppose higher UC talents would be allowed to inflict damage against an opponent with any type of armor. Most "low level" guys just aren't going to punch full metal plate. I particularly like the nerve strike in one of the text UC talents. Grapplinge damage (immobilization and joint damage) would probably be effective, perhaps even more against a guy who is adjDX-challenged due to heavy armor.

UC talents should be useable outside HTH for anyone even in armor. UC talents in HTH should be useable by anyone with leather armor or less on.

These are just some thoughts I had after reading Erol's post. Let's tear it up and see if anything makes sense.

Aidan =====