Re: (TFT) Some Thoughts on HTH

See below
----- Original Message ----- From: <raito@raito.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Some Thoughts on HTH

circumstances. If both are trained...yikes. I'm interested in your fight. Was it stand up or on the ground? I take it you're trained in some martial
art.

If both are trained, then either one loses the poker hand and it's over right
now, or it takes a long time. As for my experiences, they're from standing
positions. The medieval masters were right on that -- never choose to go to the
ground in a real fight. And yes, I have training.

That's why I made the original comment about the deadliness of knife fighting. In TFT HTH is on the ground so there's not much parrying or footwork.

initial stage of mobilization. On successive turns, the grappler could
inflict his HTH damage based on strength with no armor, magical or
otherwise, protection. If has has an arm and does the requisite damage, then the guy loses the use of his arm per the aimed shot rules. This should be a
higher UC skill.

But the aimed shot rules shouldn't have to apply.

I didn't mean that the -dx adjustment would apply but was suggesting that a way to replicate the sort of damage a grappler could do would be to allow for the disabling of limbs, chokes, etc... something akin to what we see in the aimed shot rules.

Good question about regular weapon Talents. It's possible that, apart from
knives, sticks, and the like, they would have very little effect once in
HTH. They could play a part at the time entry into HTH is attempted. After I sent my post, I wondered to myself why a weapon talent wouldn't play a part
in either entering HTH or refusing HTH. Not sure. For entering HTH, you
might feignt with the weapon or attack the opponent's weapon to create an
opening. For refusing HTH, you are pretty much taking a swipe at the enemy
as he approaches.

Fiore de Liberi would disagree, and say that to even be competent with the
sword, one has to be able to grapple with it.

Would you elaborate? What does grapple mean in this instance?

Very true, but still there's still significant training. One thing Bushido

But what constitutes 'significant' training? UC? Weapons Talents?

In a game context, it would be a UC talent. The higher the UC talent, the greater the skill. As for including a weapon skill in this calculus, I don't know what could be done because the weapon talents don't mirror the UC talents, ie 1, 2, 3, etc... Under the current rules, an unarmed man would attempt HTH under limited circumstances and would roll a die to see where he ends up. If he or the opponent has UC, then they could adjust the roll under my house rule. A result of 5 or 6 puts the HTH attacker in a vulnerable position. Is this enough risk to thwart risky attempts to grapple against an armed opponent? I think Legends lets the defender attack with a ready weapon if he hasn't yet acted. This is another option that's reasonable. The way TFT is written isn't unreasonable. I don't think HTH is attempted all that often. Usually there are multiple attackers and jumping into HTH with one is very dangerous since you're exposing yourself. Any ideas? Mirror weapons skills: sword 1, 2, 3, etc...?

Are you talking about breaking an arm through the armor or attacking the
joint through rending or striking? Is this striking damage or rending

I'm talking about breaking it through manipulation, not striking. Really,
striking against significant armour just doesn't work. Read the medieval
masters. Armoured sword contests in the early 1500's are considred wrestling matches, not sword fights. In fact, there's some ranting against rich young men who never learn to parry, because their armour protects them to that degree. My experiences tend to bear this out as true. That said, armour providing protection as it does in TFT is a game mechanic, not tied to reality. So while discussing reality is nice, it must be translates into game mechanics that work. Usually, that means sacrificing reality.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that we make TFT HTH super complex. The only adjustment we ever made was allowing for modification of the initial HTH combat roll based upon the difference of the respective parties' UC talents. If UC 2 attacks UC 5, the defender gets to modify the HTH die roll by 3 whichever direction he wants. In TFT, your initial black belt might be UC2 or UC3. An untrained person attacking either of these guys would be at a significant disadvantage if trying to initiate HTH combat. If HTH combat is merely ground grappling, your smarter UC guy isn't going to try it but avoid it unless he's outmatched (armor/weapons), in which case he might be able to subdue the opponent via grappling. He'll normally use his UC talents on his feet; there's no requirement to enter HTH to use these skills. I would like to see grapplers be able to do some damage and a few more UC talents. Although curious, I've never purchased GURPS martial arts book. I wonder what was done to distinguish styles.

It's interesting that you say that 16th century sword contests were described as wrestling matches. Is this the "grappling" you referred to above? I agree about the use of armor. Armor allows you to take chances that you otherwise wouldn't take and perhaps creates bad habits from the point of view of weapon skill and tactics. Just look at stickfighters who have fought for years with armor and then try it without- they find that they were taking chances and relying on armor protection and not skill with the stick or footwork. This is okay if you always or usually have armor but not okay if it distorts the development of skill such that you commit deadly errors when not wearing armor. Also, if they're fighting with sticks, the worst they can usually get is broken bones or a concussion, if using blades, they may lose life or permanent use of limb. I know they've done death matches with sticks in the Phillipines but those were designed to be such and no armor was worn.

admit, while I have struck pads, wood, etc...I've never hit medieval metal armor. I think that it would take considerable skill IN A FIGHTING SITUATION
to strike such heavy metal armor and transfer enough power to damage the
person without harming their hand.

Gauntlets protect more than you might think. Unlike most, I have struck armour with weapons, and without. Yes, I wouldn't cause much damage at all striking someone in armour with my hand. But I wouldn't bother to do so in order to do
damage.
I don't know. Sparring with modern light training gear is different from
sparring without it. IIRC, aikijutsu was used by armored samurai, perhaps

I believe that kumiuchi was the term applied specifically to grappling in
armour.
sometimes in conjunction with a tanto. I don't think they tried to punch
through armor of their opponent but used aiki to take down the enemy, rip
joints and maybe finish him off with the tanto. So there is some truth to
what you say. Maybe you're right, let the -dx adjustment take care of the
decision to wear or not wear armor.

There's also several accounts of samurai holding their opponent down with one
hand, and beheading them with the other.

Another option after a pin would be something like this. Instead of just pinning, the character could attempt to draw a dagger, if necessary, and then make some attempt to slay the opponent or force a surrender. Failure would/could result in a loss of the pin.

Aidan

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com