Re: (TFT) Some Thoughts on HTH

In a message dated 1/13/2008 2:01:56 PM Central Standard Time,
fuhrmanator@gmail.com writes:

> I'm re-examining the conditions for entering HTH, and when you consider
> those, there is some balance.
>
> For my simulator, I don't deal with location/facing/walls/etc. I assume that
> two characters exchange blows, face to face. They can be knocked down, drop
> weapons, etc.
>
> That said, the only way an attacking figure could enter HTH with a defender
> would be if his MA were higher, the defender agreed to it, or the defender
> were prone/kneeling. The other conditions (back to the wall, attacked from
> side/rear) are out of the scope of my simulator.
>
> Lower MA implies more armor on the defender than the attacker (except in the
> case of animals). HTH damage, which is relatively small, will affect the
> attacker more than the defender, because of his lower armor. The +4 DX
> adjustment to both will likely neutralize the negative effects of heavy
> armor. So, it may not be smart to jump a heavily armored foe in HTH.

"Except for animals" is an major exception, especially in a game like mine
that uses a lot of beasties and animal-shaped monsters. More generally, I'll
agree that it's rarely smart to jump a heavily armored foe in HTH - *if* you have
a regular melee weapon yourself. But if you're armed with a dagger, or with
"natural weapons" (sharp teeth & claws) equivalent to a dagger or better, then
I'd say that it is a good move to deprive your opponent of his regular melee
weapon. Of course for humans and humanoids, this will usually be a matter of
going from a position of severe disadvantage (dagger & no armor vs a well armed &
 armored foe) to one of much less disadvantage.

Try a St 12 Dx 12(9)  figure with broadsword, small shield, and chainmail vs
a St 12 Dx 12 figure with a dagger and no armor - both with and without the
daggerman attempting HTH (and with & without the swordman having a spare dagger
at his belt) Also try a summoned myrimidon (or a summoned myrimodon+shield,
armor, and spare dagger) vs a summoned wolf.

Of course allowing or not allowing called shots in HTH or melee also makes a
difference. If a called shot for double damage is allowed with a -6 Dx
penalty, figures with adjDx 16+ are better off taking that option, and this benefits
a wolf or other animal with adjDx 17-18 in HTH combat.