Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #972

Hello,

On Jan 14, 2008 4:45 PM, Ray Rangel <ray.rangel@cox.net> wrote:

> Uh...I'm confused...am I supposed to clip or not?

As far as I know, there are no rules about the matter on this group. I
personally find it pleasing to see questions answered "inline" as I'm doing
right now. This is sometimes called "contextualizing" and can help to see
the flow of the conversation, which is at least two-way, normally.

Someone who just enters his answer at the top of the message may - or may
not - be ignoring the details or the questions that were posed. Some people
find this annoying, and it is know as "top-posting". Google will find you
all kinds of points of view on that subject...

> In the ether it's considered rude to include the entire post when one
> replies. One should be clipping out the non-essential bits to save
> reader's
> time and bandwidth. However, when replying to a specific point, it's
> considered good form to include the bit to which one may be responding.

I agree entirely. I pointed out that Gmail, which will hide the "quoted
text" when it hasn't been contextualized, makes it less painful when someone
top-posts, as I don't see all the repeated text - just the words "- Show
quoted text -" and if I click on that, it expands it.

This issue came up on the list before:
http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0702/msg00046.html