Re: (TFT) Remember the human (rule 1 of the core rules of Netiquette)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:41:43 -0500
"Cris Fuhrman" <fuhrmanator@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rule 10 of the Netiquette rules says we should forgive people for their
> mistakes. However, as I pointed out, this complaint was made by Justin many
> months ago. Perhaps the list owner can exert some force on this issue.
>
> Finally, Rule 10 states "If you do decide to inform someone of a mistake,
> point it out politely, and preferably by private email rather than in
> public."

Actually, I followed rule 10 last week when someone quoted an entire digest
in a reply.  I emailed him off-list and pointed it out.  He was very apologetic,
as his email program did not show the message was being included "in toto".
He was very apologetic, and I consider the matter closed.  (I then edited
the temp files used to build the digest email and the online archive to take
out the included digest.)

I know it's going to come up from time to time as new people join.  It's
my place to deal with it, but if anyone feels compelled to say something
on-list, it's best to remember the words of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. as spoken
by Eliot Rosewater "There's only one rule that I know of, babies-'God damn
it, you've got to be kind.'"