Re: (TFT) TFT Codex 2000 update

Jay,
replies inline...

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jay Carlisle" <selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com>
> To: tft@brainiac.com
> Subject: Re: (TFT) TFT Codex 2000 update
> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:47:23 +0800
>

> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Chris Nicole" <chris_nicole@operamail.com>
>
> Thank You Mr. Nicole!
>
> I haven't forgoten!

Okay, I'm not sure which bit, but I'm pleased to hear YOU haven't forgotten.
These days, I seem to be forgetting more recent stuff and remembering more old stuff...
:o)

> I remember WWII airplane combat w/models set on "clothes pins" that
> cliped to wooden dowels, mounted on brick bases.
>
> A neat "trick" if that is the only thing your focused on in your (GM) "game".
>
> Else if, that method of combat may only be valid for THAT war/conflict.

(There are WW1 aeroplane rules (Fokker Fodder) on my site.)
The aeroplanes on flying stands was just the method we used to display the game. It looked good and I enjoyed making Airfix kits but the rules work just as well with flat counters and paper maps.
This is pretty far OT to TFT. I'm happy to discuss them further off-list...

> Try thinking about it like this.
>
> How much fSt is needed to run our "modern" needs?
>

> How stupid a question is this?
>

> Jay

Basicaly fST is a physical measure related to body size, so I have used fSt to play exhaustion or work effort or resistance to drugs/alchohol/poison etc.
AFAIK there's little call for fSt to represent supernatural abilities in modern needs. If you need something to represent faith, mana or magical 'power' then I tend to think you need something unrelated to physical ST (or IQ).

I have also used fST to work out 'stun' or non-lethal wounds in TFT. It's a handy way of playing a bar fight or where you need to capture a character without mangling them.

We ran a bar fight in TFT one time...
I can't remember who started it or why, but it was great fun and everything was going well. Then the Halfling stepped up to the bar and grabbed a load of pewter tankards.
He threw them..
He could call shots...
:o)

Play nice,