RE: (TFT) Intentions - as I understand them, at least

--------------------- "Jay Carlisle" wrote:-----------------------
Second, who says I have to go "through" the portal?
I start digging, for example.
These things are interactive...
What happens when the players try something "odd"?
The players trying something odd is the best part of the game, IMO.  That
interactivity is the fun part.  But rather tha having lots of codified
reference material to refer to, I make a call, hopefully a reasonable one, and
we move along.
For your digging example, I'd extrapolate an answer from the digging and
tunneling rules (a truly useful game reference, even if it has no bearing on
the real world) and go from there.  That actually happens alot, my players are
inordinately fond of tunneling , creating walls, and causing cave-ins.
As for buildings that blow up, again, extrapolating from the petard discussion
in the tunneling and digging section is what I have done.  And yes, of course
the question came up.  The party discussed , and later abandoned, the idea of
dropping a petard into the top of a Hymenopteram hive - so while the
strategized, I read over the petard rules and digging rules and determined how
much of the hive would blow up, just in case - naturally I wrote it down in my
campaign notes, so should it come up again, I don't have to think it through
again, and if they start dropping lots of petards y response can be
consistant.

---------------More Jay------------------------------------------------
Don't show players anything that your not willing to let them mess with.
[snip]
Show me a map and I'm gonna end up trying to find what's outside the map.

I could not agree more.  The players can do whatever they want with their
characters.  They go off the map all the time, thats how they add to their
map.
Sometimes they take the bait, sometimes they don't.  But that is a rel life
thing more than a game iisue.  In real life, if I've got an idea I think would
be cool, I let the guys know, and if they are up for it, I build it out and
the characters pursue it.  If they are not up for it, it goes back on the
shelf for another time.