Re: (TFT) Magical vs Non-Magical Lights

In a message dated 2/2/2008 6:28:59 AM Central Standard Time,
selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com writes:

> [...]

o Given the existance of gunpowder weapons, I'd say the economy resembles
something a bit later than a purely medieval background.

o In my campaign, a lot of trade is on a barter basis (especially local trade
out in the farming villages), but the law of supply & demand doesn't go away
in a barter economy.

o I am assuming that prices are in equilibrium (good catch) whether they are
paid in silver coins or in kind. In particular, I'm assuming that there is
enough lamp oil available at the offered price to meet the demand for lamp oil at
the asked-for price.

o Finally, making lamp oil less available makes the "industrial disease"
problem *worse* IMO, by making magical lights relatively more attractive. If lamp
oil costs $0.4 per liter when it is available, but the supply is uncertain,
then when a Light item comes along at $1400, it will be more attractive to buy
it, or trade for it, than if one did have a reliable source of lamp oil.

Now I do handwave the sources of lamp oil (and of other, similar "raw
materials") because I'm not trying to run a complete economic simulation. I'm just
trying to avoid bogosities equivalent to having people living in the middle of
the Alberta oil fields use natural gas for their stoves and dryers - while at
the same time insisting on importing coal for home heating.