(TFT) SciFi TFT, was: What happened to the TFT list ?

Kind of combining two threads...

Inventing one's own world is fun. But playing in a world already established
by movies and literature is fun too.

Who among us hasn't identified with the characters in The Lord of the Rings,
Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, and other master works of fiction? Some
of these are ideal for TFT solo gaming, like Indiana Jones, while other are
ready made for teams like The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. It helps the
players be more consistent. After all they, probably know how the story
universe works so they can integrate their characters into it more easily.
We all know the personality of a JRRT Dwarf. Playing one, is a matter of
embellishing on what one already knows. As for the GM writing the adventure,
the plot's the plot becomes the goal rather than creating a new environment.
That, and maintaining the story, NPC, and PC actions true to the
environment.

In looking at TFT and what Dark City Games has done with their games (if
you're not familiar with them, they are compatible with, but certainly
aren't clones of, TFT) who do have a SciFi version of their system, it's
pretty clear that, given the abstract nature of the rules, one need only
basically substitute broad swords with Light Sabers and magic with Jedi mind
tricks. <<Whew! That was one sentence--I hope nobody asks me to diagram
it!>>

By the way, has anyone considered ditching the hexes? Using hexes instead of
squares (like that other game) does make movement smoother and easier.
However, wouldn't simply converting hexes to inches, mega hexes to three
inches, and using a ruler be the smoothest movement of all? Nothing else
really need be done. That's it. Using Melee rules and dispensing with the
map makes TFT, in my opinion, a truly great union of RPG with a miniatures
game. Hey, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!

Ray Rangel
ray.rangel@cox.net
http://xraysvision.blogspot.com/