RE: (TFT) SciFi TFT, was: What happened to the TFT list ?

I've played GURPS, WFRP, and D&D without miniatures. It is unfortunate that
there is, in my opinion, and over-reliance on miniatures and maps and
miniatures. How much effort does it really take to imagine a 20x20 room
containing a few objects. All I need to know is about where my PC is, the
approximate location of the other PCs and NPCs and where my opponents are.
If I try to circle around to the back of the opponent, for instance, while
he distracted by another PC's actions, the GM might call for a DX roll to
avoid attracting attention to myself or might roll against the NPCs IQ to
see if he figures out he's being distracted. To me, this is the essence of
role playing.

In group play, it is everyone's responsibility to help keep track of where
everything is. This job shouldn't be the GM's alone, nor should it be the
players'. RPGs are, or *should* be, collaborative games. The GM is there
coordinating everyone imaginations so that their actions are, not only
consistent, but reinforcing a common imagined locale as well. I honestly
find it very difficult to immerse myself or others in a game when we are
yanked out of the fantasy to count squares of hexes in the real world.

Ray Rangel
ray.rangel@cox.net
http://xraysvision.blogspot.com/