Re: (TFT) Story

In a message dated 2/10/2008 4:14:46 PM Central Standard Time,
selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com writes:

> Industrial Disease, as I understand it, is a concept dealing with
> overproduction and the inefficient distribution of World resources Globally.

Big communication problem here. That's not *at all* what "industrial disease"
means to me.

What "industrial disease" means to me is when the economically rational
levels and means of production wrt magic (and related stuff - e.g. lab ingredients)
are in conflict with the medievaloid fantasy genre. Where, for example, city
streets are lit by magical Light items - because by-the-rules (either book or
house rules) it makes ECONOMIC SENSE to use Light items rather than lanterns,
or torches, or just leaving the streets unlit. Or where eye of newt is
produced for potions by big newt-ranching operations, rather than the newts being
supplied from smaller suppliers who have a more traditional "look and feel" -
again, because the big newt-ranching operation is what makes economic sense given
the newt-rules in play. It has NOTHING TO DO with "overproduction" or
"inefficient distribution."

In fact, proper levels of production and efficient distribution are what
cause the problem: From the point of view of the NPCs (and PCs) in the game world,
it's a Good Thing for magic to be cheap and plentiful due to
practical-but-unromantic methods of doing things that produce more stuff for less cost and
effort. It's only a problem for the GM and players, looking down on the world
from their godlike vantage - and not seeing things done in the emotionally
satisfying "traditional" ways.

If you think of industrial disease in terms of "overproduction" and
"inefficient distribution of World resources Globally" then I'm not going to be making
any sense to you when I talk about industrial disease, and you're not going to
make any sense to me.

Erol K. Bayburt