Re: (TFT) Conical hexes

I'm certain that it is because of drunkeness that the "dexterity is used for spellcasting" idea came about.

David

On Mar 15, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Paul MacDonald wrote:

pvk@oz.net wrote:
My first shot would be like this:
1. Approximate Earth radius to say 6,360,000 meters.
2. Observe that with conical hexes, hex length will be proportional to circumference of the sphere, which is the same as the circumference of a
circle of radius R. Circumference = Radius x 2 x pi. So hex length is
proportional to altitude above the center of the earth.
3. So hex length (L) = altitdue above sea level (ASL) + 6,360,000 meters /
6,360,000 meters.
4. So at 0 ASL. L = 1 standard hex length. At 80,000m ASL, L = (6,360,000
+ 80,000) / 6,360,000, = 1.0126 x standard hex length.
At that point, I think I'd decide it was close enough and not worry about
adding hexes as I ascended.

It seems to me that at a certain distance you could use a megahex of the lower altitudes hexes to fill the current altitudes hex. I'm to drunk to figure it out at the moment, though.

Paul

--

What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory