(TFT) Scale stuff for Goblin

Yeah!

I got a little shiver when I saw that Brainiac!

Okay, here come a few chuncks what I'm apt ta spew.
Make of it what you will but my guess is that my dyslexwhatever thought process is trying to keep it in objectional sections.

What I'm shooting for here is defining the Scale that we're working at, i.e. how big is each hex, how long is a "phase, turn or cycle"?

1 hex = 5000m sts
1 field hex = 5 farms @ 500 hectares per farm.
1 hectare = 10,000m^2
2.471 acers per hectare

1 farm = 500 hectares, and uses 3 field rotation at this time (Roman Tech) meaning only about 160 hectares per year are growing food.
I picked wheat for this example.
160 hectares is about 400 acers.
1 acre is loosely defined as the amount of land a man and yoke of oxen could plow in 1 day.
There is 400 days work.
It takes 30 men and 60 oxen almost a fortnight to plow 400 acres.

Haxthausen estimated a German farm of 10,000 hectares in the 1840 required about 14 farmers and 1500 man-days of seasonal labour.
It would require 4 teams of horses and 3500 Thalers (root of Dollar, a silver coin) in expenses.
He estimated a gross income of 8500 Thalers, or a 5000 Thaler profit.
I believe this is about the same time Jethro Tull was mucking about so
he's probably figuring labor to be cheep.

I'll set production rates at 600lbs per acer for this region, at this time, call it middle Europe, circa 1300's.
That has a typical farm produceing 240,000 lbs of cereal in a typical year.

1 pound of flour is about 3 1/2 cups.
1 cup of whole wheat flour = 400 calories.
so 1 farm generates about 100,000 man-days of food per year at about 3500 calories per day (2.5 lbs. per person per day).
This is about 275 people supported per year, per farm.
At peak effecentcy.
And consumeing everything.

middle age yealds average 1:3.
240,000 lbs / 3 = 80,000 lbs cereal required as seed.
160,000 lbs grain = 560,000 cups flour (we'll talk waste under Downtime, this is Mass Combat)
so 64,000 man-days food @ 3500 calories, or basicly 175 people per year per farm.

175 people per farm X 250 farms total = 43,750 people max at 3500 calories per year.

About 25% are adult males, or  10,937.5
2/3ds of these adult males are pesants.
Call it 10,000 adult males (PC age 20+ but not geriatic) and basicly 6000 of them are farmers with about 4000 left for everything else like woodcutting, teamster (1000lb load w/2 wheel cart, about 1200lb load with wagon) not to mention professional solider...

5000m sts means that Units are covering about 50k per turn on foot, and about 75k mounted.
This is actualy within the ballpark for a days movement across level, open ground.
This would make each turn 1 day and each hex of movement at this Scale about 1 hour.

Now y'all remember that babble about non-rotating hexes (basicly you gotta use the series where the 2nd hex is actually X5 the diameter of the melee 1.3 sts hex and then you can just double.
This gives us a hex that just encompasses the earths circumfrence in 25 steps.

I've got;
1 hex
5 hexes
10
20 Bendwyn
40 Squad Leader
80
160
320
640
1280 (3 full boards of Squad Leader)
2560
5120 (This is Goblin)
10,240 Elayntia
20,480
40,960
81,920
163,840
327,680
655,360
1,310,720
2,621,440
5,242,880
10,485,760
20,971,520
41,943,040 hexes (actually 54,000m+ when Earth is more like 40,000 in circumfrencence but this is good enough for government work)

Oh yes, Goblin is basicly 20 X 25 (I leave the straight line of mountains that line the west hexes outta this)
what? 62.5 X 78 miles?
Clatsop county OR is basicly 30 X 30 miles square.
Add Tillamook and you've got the area of Goblins Map.

The way I'm counting it anyway.

I'd rather finish the Google Earth, eleavation stuff because then I can use refrence marteral to locate resources.
Using somebodys watercolor painting dosen't tell me where the Iron is (if any) but I'll bitch about that later.

This is for Mass Combat purposes.
I'll speculate extensively on stuff like spoilage in Downtime.

This is Mass Combat.

Okay I'll babble about Population next...

Jay