Re: (TFT) Is it an RPG or really a Tactical RPG?

I like the idea very much.  I think TFT can be used in many ways, and there are people out there doing just that.  Definitely one of the reasons I like the system is for its tactical combat on the map, and I'm continuing to work on a computer version of this type of combat, and looking for ways to expand it into just such a campaign setting.  I've mentioned the game here on the list before but my progress is slow due to time constraints.  However, it is now to the point where two people can create 1-4 characters and play out an arena combat over the network.  I'm making a leap from your ideas to the computer game idea, but I think all ideas that strive to enhance and continue TFT are welcome on this list.

Lloyd

----- Original Message ----
From: Christopher Brandon <brandon@pokemon-seattle.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:50:37 PM
Subject: (TFT) Is it an RPG or really a Tactical RPG?

Hello all

Former lurker, new poster here.

I always thought the Melee/ Wizard series of games (TFT, Underearth)
never really came together as true RPG's like D&D, T&T, Traveller, etc.
The primary focus was programmed adventures where combat encounters were
the focus over Role-Playing encounters.

In fact, the system would seem to be more appropriately played as a
Tactical RPG in the style of video games like Final Fantasy Tactics,
Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, Rondo of Swords, and may others.  For those
not familiar, these are combat centered adventures where a story line
progresses from combat to combat and your success in each battle
determines the progression of the epic story line.

This leads me to the idea of Campaigns.  This would be an over arching
storyline where combat is the core of the adventure.  You would build
your brick of 4 PC characters and as an adventure progress NPC's join,
possibly die, and you can hire mercenaries to fight with you.  Your
success or failure determines in each battle the overall storyline
progression.  There would be a mix of large battles and small interlude
battles both require you to pick your team prior to combat so as you
build your roster of PC's, NPC's and mercenaries you have to select who
would be good for the battle.

Is this idea of interest to anyone else?

Cheers!
Chris