Re: (TFT) Is it an RPG or really a Tactical RPG?

On Thu, April 24, 2008 2:50 pm, Christopher Brandon wrote:
> I always thought the Melee/ Wizard series of games (TFT, Underearth)
> never really came together as true RPG's like D&D, T&T, Traveller, etc.

Hmm, interesting. I felt the opposite: that other RPG's, and especially
D&D, were incomplete for lack of an interesting tactical combat system,
which undermined my interest in playing them. Meanwhile, TFT's
role-playing campaign elements seemed more consistent, logical and
detailed than other systems as well. Even Traveler seemed lacking in logic
and flesh, but I only tried the basic books and a few others, and then
ended up merging in rules from TFT and other disciplines.

In other words, I found TFT's style to be a wonderful encouragement for
creating original campaigns and to really getting into the play of them,
because they were about cause & effect (so what you did and how you did it
made the difference between life and death) rather than who had the
higher-level character or monster.

However, yes, they are good for strictly combat-oriented campaigns too,
where D&D would be really lame for that by comparison.

PvK