Re: (TFT) Is it an RPG or really a Tactical RPG?

On Sat, April 26, 2008 1:56 pm, David Jackson wrote:
> Oh really?  So you are saying that if I use props, I am not using my
> imagination?

Another view on this.

Without a shared physical representation such as a map, everyone has their
OWN imagination of what's happening in a situation, which can lead to
conflicts and paradoxes, or to avoid those, rules that prevent paradoxes
but limit sensible options.

Maps and comprehensive tactical rules can enable players to play closer to
the same imagined situation, and to play with that situation in a
consistent way.

Remember playing war around 2nd grade? "I shot you!" "No, you missed!"
"You fired all your bullets." Etc.

Also, without a map, the game events can be determined largely by what
players convince the other players are happening - who determines what
happens or even what the situation is, is often based on how dominant
their expressions are - the way they talk creates and shapes the physical
situation, in the absence of a map and game statistics.

Though, other players and the GM can sometimes intervene, if it's worth
the effort.

Bob: "I enter the room first and greet the hostess, saying..."
Albert: "No you don't, I enter the room first!"
GM: "Ok, so as the three of you approach the door, Bob and Albert start
walking faster both trying to get to the door first. Roger, what do you
do?"
Roger: "Thanks for asking. I'll play it cool and let them look silly."
GM: "Ok, Bob and Albert, if you want to beat the other to the door, roll
to see who gets there first..."

PvK