Re: (TFT) Is TFT a role playing or board game?

On Apr 28, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Christopher Brandon wrote:

All of that (sorry so long) to say maybe the combat centric nature of
adventures published to support TFT may be what creates in my mind a
sense of limits to the system as originally written.  Thoughts?

Cheers!
Chris

Well, this brings up a few points:

1) The programmed adventures were really designed to support solo play - not play with a group. Play with a group is an "added feature". I personally never use programmed adventures as anything other than something to pass some time.

2) I've never been one to use rely heavily on published adventures for my sit-down, players-across-the-table games. I rely instead on my rather lengthy campaign notes for my personal bastardized version of Greyhawk.

3) Most games that I run feature combat. They also feature lots of character interaction, but it's combat that drives the primary conflict, and conflict is what drives plots (some plots are a series of conflicts all strung together).

4) The system is limited. No-one is debating that. It's one revision shy of being a complete game. But there's a solid core of mechanics there.

So, what are you trying to say?

Our original argument was whether or not TFT was a "true" roleplaying game. You provided us with a term that you created from whole cloth - "tactical RPG" - which exists in video games, but not in pen-and- paper games.

Tactical RPGs are essentially wargames (yes, wargames can be played where the players can only control one unit). TFT started off as wargames (Melee / Wizard), but was developed into a full blown roleplaying game (Advanced Wizard / Advanced Melee / In the Labyrinth ).

So, I can see where your confusion may come from. Just because it doesn't have the extraneous crap that D20 games come with doesn't mean that it's inferior. Most of the work is left for you as the GM.

As for Ray, he's emotionally disturbed.

David Jackson