RE: (TFT) Is TFT a role playing or board game?

---- Christopher Brandon <brandon@pokemon-seattle.com> wrote:
> Sorry Mr. Jackson, despite my earlier protestations to avoid posting,
> the thoughtful posts by Ray and others enticed me to return.

<<enormous snip>>

Very interseting post. Though I've not written any solo adventure for TFT, I have written small computer text adventures. The same principles hold for both. If one isn't careful the decision trees can quickly get out of hand and one can never finish writing the adventure.

It's curious that you use the word "limitation" though. It's true, but carries a negative connotation. All games define rules and rules are, by definition, limitations. Therefore all games have limitations.

I don't see the hex grid used in TFT and DCG as any more a limitation that using a ruler and saying 1"=6'; or even just using the concept of 6' increments of distance in game playing completely in the imagination. Personally, while "limitations" is certainly grammatically correct, I tend to think of the combat mechanics as "constraints" as the mechanics defind boundaries within which a scenario author, GM, or player must operate. However, within the constraints ofthe mechanics, the adventures are limitless. This is aptly demonstrated by  DCG games encompassing SciFi, Westerns, and Fanasty all within the same fundamental constraints (rules).

Just some thoughts