Re: (TFT) Active Defense: the Block

In a message dated 6/9/2008 4:14:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
eac42@columbia.edu writes:

> Basically I considered the potential for a skilled and/or well armored
> defender to reduce odds of damage as required in a serious combat-modelling
> system, but was unwilling to add die-rolls to the flow, preferring to go
> with quick and simple adjustments to the roll to hit.

I understand the reluctance to add die rolls to the flow. I played in a
RuneQuest game back in the Elder Days, and the roll to parry/roll for hit location
mechanic really does slow play down. In the end I did add some rolls to my TFT
game by giving highly-skilled warriors two attacks (or an attack plus a
defense) each turn instead of one. Less-skilled combatants don't get any extra
rolls, just a chance to use them to defend rather than attack.

This does still increase the time a fight takes ("He hit? OK, I give up my
next attack to parry... made it. So the fight continues") - both in terms of
game-time and player time. But I think the extra flavor is woth the relatively
few extra die rolls.

I admit, I'd have a different opinion if every Joe Genero character got to
both attack and defend every turn.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow