Re: (TFT) Do you remember the first time you played?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:43:09 -0500
David Michael Grouchy II <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Do you remember the first time you played?

Absolutely!  I was a sophomore in high school, and while I'd heard of D&D,
I didn't know anyone who played it, and the books were a bit pricey to get
into.  My group of friends played a lot of Risk and other board games, the
occasional Avalon Hill game, and quite a bit of Lou Zocchi's Star Fleet
Battle Manual (my knees still hurt from that!).

I remember seeing this rack of games, small things in plastic envelopes,
in a KayBee toy store, and I was thrilled to see they were at a price I
could afford.  I picked up two that first day, Melee and WarpWar, and
called my friend Clarke as soon as I got home.  We played those games
for hours, days, weeks on end.  I went back and bought one of all the
other games KayBee had at the time, which got me up to Wizard, I think.
It wasn't long before the little rack disappeared from KayBee, and it was
years before I was able to expand the collection.  (And expand I did - I
now have a complete collection of every game Metagaming ever published.)