RE: (TFT) Theory of dungeons

Quoting David Michael Grouchy II <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>:

     And as always, when I think i'm going somewhere new I come over the hill
to find Neil already there with a campfire and coffee patiently waiting for
the rest of us to catch up.

Well, I've been at it for more than 30 years, you know.
I don't know what to say. Tell me about your first dungeon you ever made? I'll definetly have some of that coffee though.

The first dungeon I made was pretty random. I'd just learned the wonders of hex
paper and the idea that one could make one's own maps. The hex paper was the
back of some green-bar printouts, and the hexes drawn by hand as a doodle
during a class. I'd made a legend for various terrain types, and had
essentially splatted them over the hexes I'd made. There were towns, roads,
rivers, and... dungeons. The first dungeon was pretty random, rather like the surface map. It was more me
exploring what could be done with the system (old 3-pamphlet D&D, if you must
know) than exploring what could be done with roleplay in general. You know. Some corridors and rooms, and doors. Monsters and traps. Treasure. That sort of thing.
The first thing I did of any value wasn't a dungeon at all, it was a small
fishing vilalge on an island. Still rather random, but all the 30 or so
inhabitants had their stories and interrelations. I probabyl still have it in
my files somewhere.
(And the magic weapons in old Myron's tomb were pretty well crocked. They were
limited/expunged/etc so that they were only really good when going after the
ogre brothers. After that was done, they were only pretty good, as a reward. But the mechanism to keep the fountain flowing with wine and mead was a pretty
interesting set of enchantments, IIRC. [only a finite emount, it wasn't
renewing, or anything silly like that])

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com