RE: (TFT) Theory of dungeons

  I suppose there can be a rational for a "hotel of hell" with multiple
and varied denizens for darkness roaming about. Death Test is one
approach- man-made and stocked labyrinth. I tend to like it when there's
a reason for the monsters to be there. If it's a kobold lair, I expect
to find kobolds. If you then throw a Lurker in here, a displacer beast
there, some demonic figure wielding the Wand of Orcas in the top room of
the castle, it stops working for me.

Aidan

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at  3:35 PM, Christopher Brandon wrote:

>>> I agree- all of the below, although I've never really like the
randomly
populated hole in the ground. That reminds me too much of the module
"Caves
of Chaos" from the old AD&D. << Aidan

So do some people feel there is a natural progression of encounters that
should occur in a dungeon?

Maybe Keep on the Borderlands influenced me too much, but dungeons seem
to be various enconters and challenges that can be accessed by explorers
depending upon what route they take through the dungeon.B  Usually there
is one key room at the end of a dungeon where one finds their quest
goal...but outside of that, they are essentially a random access
adventure.

Since rooms could be bypassed or unexplored in any given dungeon, aren't
they all a shoe box of chaos?B

Cheers!
Christopher
<mailto:tft@brainiac.com> B  <mailto:tft@brainiac.com>