(TFT) Slow Magic

>Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 23:04:07 -0500
>From: "Todd Roseberry" <paleryder1@verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: (TFT) Stormbringer & Elric
>
>Even more testing of one's patience would be Hyborean magic. It's slow,
>dangerous, corrupting but big and powerful. Hard to role-play such a wizard
>if you're interested in "instant" magic.

How about this (POMA-style) house rule?
Each spell costs: Cost + IQ - 5 rounds to cast for only 1 fatigue (although upkeep costs may be paid by fatigue after the spell has been successfully cast). Upkeep costs can be paid upfront for an extra 2 rounds per point. If upkeep costs are purchased this way, they last three times as long.
Spells can be cast normally, but strictly adhere to the notion that if you take have ST 12, take 11 points of fatigue from spells, take 1 point from a dagger, you die.
The roll to succeed (and 1 point fatigue cost) is made upfront if a non-missile spell, at the end if it is a missile spell.
Total virtual ST spent on the spell (normal cost + upkeep) cannot exceed the wizard's IQ.
If distracted (e.g. hit in combat or "countered" see below), spend 1 fatigue OR make an IQ roll to keep concentration.
Success adds one round to the casting time (even if it was paid for normally with fatigue), while failure indicates a spell fizzle (only 1 fatigue for missile spells, since it never went off).

Make recovery from casting spells take 1 hour per point to discourage their use for spells.
Multiple spells may be active at the same time, but only one spell can be cast at a time.
Any true wizard (not a hero who has taken a spell) can "counter-spell" another wizard (much like declaring a defend/dodge action) by spending 1 fatigue AND rolling against IQ. The spellcasting wizard may "resist" by spending 1 fatigue OR rolling IQ as if distracted.
This is to represent that notion that it is much harder to cast spells when someone is opposing you.

These apply ONLY to the initial casting roll:
A 16 on the initial casting roll is an automatic failure
A 17 on the initial casting roll does 5 points of fatigue damage to the caster unless the caster makes a successful IQ roll.
An 18 on the initial casting roll summons a demon (or other creature) who attacks the wizard unless the caster makes a successful IQ roll. Either way the caster takes 5 points of fatigue damage.

For any other IQ roll, 16+ is a failure with no extra consequences.

I haven't tried this yet, but it might give a different flavor to the game and not require "Conan the Librarian"

- Marc