Re: (TFT) Slow Magic

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Gacy" <marcgacy@earthlink.net>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 3:41 PM
Subject: RE: (TFT) Slow Magic

>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:11:49 -0500 (CDT)

might be a good way to "convert" or "transport" a D&D type wizard into a
TFT world thereby demonstrating the distinction between the two,
although you would still require the M,S,V requirements for the D&D
wizard.

I don't fully understand this, but then again, I never played D&D wizards according to the rules anyway.

Marc,

In D&D, spells have component requirements, material (m), somatic (s) and verbal (v). For instance, a wizard wanting to cast a web spell would have to have the materials components (like a spider and bitumen), wave his hands around (the somatic) and speak (the verbal). Depending on how strict the DM was, if you lack the material component, then you can't cast the spell. All of this takes time to do. At least in the older D&D systems, a spell took much more time to cast than a 5 second TFT round.

To me, at least in a relative way, D&D represents a more ceremonial magic while TFT appears more psionic in nature. Compared to Hyborean/Acheronian magic, D&D is "instant" magic.

Aidan =====