Re: (TFT) Are large monsters like trolls, ogres, and giants good as PC's?

A 30 St. troll can weild a battleaxe one-handed and do 3D damage, assuming he has the IQ to learn "axe". Even better, he can use a pike axe in one hand. If he can afford/acquire armor his strength can counter-act its negative effects. An armored, tower-shield-carrying, pike-axe wielding 30 ST troll could be pretty frightening.

My experience with trolls and ogres is similar to yours. They go down pretty easily. They have too many side and rear hex facings. So long as you can outnumber them, you can easily kill them, pinning them down with two figures, having the figure in the front arc "defend", and only attacking with the figure from the rear arc.

That said, I haven't really played a giant/ogre since I've better-understood the trampling rules. As I've learned with warhorses, if you're not trampling, you're not using the giant/ogre to its full capacity. That might be enough to make them fearsome.

Here's a follow-up question: is Dragon breath worth it? My dragons seem to kill themselves pretty quickly...and I'm wondering if they'd do better without breathing.