Re: (TFT) Bell Curve

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:42, <Gavin@thefantasyquest.com> wrote:

> What would really help me is examples 'in life' of how this applies.  Not
> in learning, but in usage.

I'm not sure you can separate those. Usage with proficiency is not innate. I
don't mind the bell curve in TFT because I think it models physical
activities. A good example I can think of is bowling; it requires dexterity
to be a good bowler.

A beginner bowler might have a hard time keeping the ball from going in the
gutter. Not so for an expert. A beginner might get lucky and throw a couple
strikes in one game, but it's not likely she will bowl a 300-game (all
strikes). An expert will throw mostly strikes. If you follow bowlers'
"averages", you'll see that a bowler will progress, but only so much. Most
averages will be around the same number.

Normal distribution (bell curve) applies to lots of sports-related
activities: field-goal distance (and % accuracy), time to run to first base,
fastball speed, etc.

They are different forms of "to hit" (i.e., succeeding at a particular
physical feat), so I think the bell curve works well.

--

Robert Benchley  - "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I
said nothing."