(TFT) Re: bell curves, etc.

At 3:13 PM -0500 1/27/09, Jay wrote:
Take a cube (die) 1" by 1" by 1".
Truncate it by marking the middle point of each edge and removing the corners.
Six square sides and 8 triangle sides.
So what is the curve for three 14 sided die?
After many MANY empirical tests, a.k.a. rolls, I can state with some confidence that the thing as described rolls a corner, or triangle, 1 time out of 5. I strongly suspect the things probability to be directly related to its size, due to the differences in surface areas. (Vaguely interesting math to that, what. Center point of the trunk-cube to the center point of each surface..., I'll have to spend a shcoosh more time here.)

Very interesting math. Stability of that die sitting on a triangle is different from that of the die sitting on a square. Although the probability of its coming to rest on any given triangle is the same as that on any other triangle, the relative probability between a triangle and a square depends on *lots* of factors other than geometry. Resiliance and stiffness of the die itself as well as the material it's bouncing on, sliding and sticking coefficients of friction between the die and the surface, angular momentum vs. linear momentum at impact, etc. etc. etc.

In other words, it's not a platonic solid, and in fact it's not a solid where each face is "identical" in any sense to the other faces, and so it's not a "fair" die in the sense that it doesn't randomize linearly (or even predictably, I'd say) between triangles and squares.

It may be an interesting study, but I would not want to game with it.