Re: (TFT) TFT Plans for 2009

I'd rather see an open-source version of the rules as David Jackson originally suggests. TFT is fantastic but out of print, making it very difficult to recruit players. It has been my experience that projects like this require a central authority, and the trouble with a Wiki that everyone can contribute to is that it eventually will spin out of control with a million interpretations and a million house rules with no one central source. In other words, a new comer will be faced with a hundred different ways to play the same circumstance with no central "rules as written" guidance.

Better to elicit input and publish a series of drafts that are refined over time until a document is finalized (in my own personal opinion). That document can then form the basic "rules as written" off of which house rules may diverge.

I don't mind non-RAW TFT house rules ending up in that document, so long as, through the draft and input mechanism, it is clear that the final draft isn't quite TFT by RAW.

I would point to LABYRINTH LORD as a great example of this. It is not quite exactly Basic D&D...Clerics get a spell at first level, for example, and the experience progression is slightly different. But you can pick up any Basic D&D module and play it, without alteration, using the Labyrinth Lord rules. Similarly, you should be able to pick up Death Test and use it, without alteration, with the open source version of the TFT rules.

As a final aside, I'd love to see someone create TFT stats for the various Dark City Games modules. They're close enough already to convert on the fly, but I'd love a systematic approach to those conversions. Hm. Maybe that's something I can do and/or help with.