Re: (TFT) Playing in character

I have chosen to play a few female characters.  Usually it was for some
reason to be different within the party or play off what someone else had.
It was like any other option for a character.

The first time I played a female character was due to the situation in the
game.  My male evil dwarf thief, Borzog, had gotten a magic trap (small box
that caused a blast of cold when opened; it had held a magic ring and the
one character took the ring and tossed the box.  My dwarf though that was
insane so grabbed the box.)  Back in town the dwarf went to the poor section
to buy some slaves to test the item.  A human said he would sell his
daughters, Rowena, a 15 year old, who was pretty, and Godiva, 11 year old,
who was a tomboy, for a cheaper price if the dwarf would marry the older
one.  The dwarf figured marriage wouldn't be bad since he expected both of
the girls to be dead due to the testing of the item.  He did outfit them
with leather armor and handaxes and gave them basic training, so they would
be useful on the journey.

The next adventure the dwarf got attacked by some monster, his wife got the
box out of the saddlebag and the cold blast killed the monster, the dwarf's
horse and a mule.  She and the dwarf were fine.  Later, the dwarf and a
ninja travelling with him got killed by another party member, a 'good'
ranger.  the girl claimed the dwarf's stuff as his widow; there was some
interesting magic there.  The group was generally okay with that but took
the box from her because *that* made her dangerous.

In the dungeon some ogres showed up down the hall, the good fighters told
the two girls to stay where they were and then headed into the fray.  Thus,
the girls were the only ones to see the other ogres coming up from behind
the party.  One came towards the girls so the eldest smiled and held up a
beautiful necklace that had been the dwarf's.  The ogre let the girl put the
necklace on him as the rest of the ambushers continued on.  The necklace
slowly constricted on the neck of the ogre killing him.  the two girls then
snuck up behind the ogres, both attacked the same one and struck well with
their handaxes (the DM used a hit location and both hit the abdomen).  I was
told to real quick do some stats; the eldest had stats to be an assassin and
the youger could be a thief.  The DM ruled they had gotten sufficient
training on the journey so the attacks were both doubled.  The ogre died and
the party was alerted to the danger behind them!

The elder girl later turned out to be the Eternal Champion of Law for the
DM's campaign, was lover of a NPC and was married to another and two
different PCs over the course of her life; one of those was the Eternal
Champion of Chaos and was the mother of Eternal Champions for another
dimension in the DM's campaign.  Her one daughter became a Time Lady.  The
DM's kids played those.  It was not a sane campaign but it was fun; the DM
liked to build big stories around every PC.

I think some of you are old enough to remember Xaviera Hollander, the Happy
Hooker.  I ran Helen Highwater, the Hobbit Hooker because another guy was
playing a hobbit 'princess' being all prim and snooty; the party was all
hobbit soldiers except for one human.  The only survivors of that trip were
the two PC women, the leader of the hobbit soldiers and one of the soldiers.
Helen had become pregnant while plying her trade on the journey, married the
soldier and they opened a tavern in the village.  Any adventurer coming into
town got the first drink on the house.

In a different campaign I was told to roll up three characters so at least
one would have a chance to survive to second level.  Two of mine did, the
female wizard and a male half-orc who ended up losing the lower part of his
right arm and the left leg off at the hip.  I played both of them for
several years.

I've played a couple of female dwarf clerics.  I love playing dwarfs and the
dwarven goddess of home and protection was a great one for adventurers.