(TFT) Talents

What are talents.  Are they skills.  Are they just a profesional level, one people will pay a person to perform.  Back in August of 1999 John Paul Bakshoian introduced the idea of a Wizard talent, much like the priest talent.  I find the first two paragraphs of his post to be very insightful.  But the thread is even better.

David Michael Grouchy II

Original post

http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/9908/msg00341.html

   The first two paragraphs

   On the category of Wizardly Talent:

   I'm OK with the two classes of characters Wizards & Heroes. I think its alright for the 3 point cost for a hero to learn a spell. His restrictions on other magic items are OK too. I think that the 1 point cost to learn high level spells and low level spells alike is OK; your IQ capacity has increased your ability to deal with the complexity. So, in a sense, yes, the wizard has a natural
bent for learning spells.

   "A 'wizard' is a character who has spent all his life studying magic. It comes naturally to him, and he thinks in terms of magic; thus, he is good with spells, and handicapped at almost everything else." "A 'hero,' as far as this game is concerned, is any player-character who is not a wizard. A hero mayuse his weapons, his wits, or both - but he deals primarily with the physical world, rather than the psychic-spiritual one of the wizard. Heroes gain talents - physical abilities - easily, but are handicapped in learning spells, since they lack the proper training. By and large, a wizard should stick to spells - and a hero should leave the magic to wizards. A character who tries to do everything will not be very good at anything." ITL:9