RE: (TFT) Talents

Yes, I was using maul (or club, in some instances) for free because everyone knows it. And since the maul and club are both wooden, neither interferes with spell casting (apart from the bit about needing two hands...you can't have the maul readied when casting high-IQ spells, but the club doesn't have that problem).

Staff spell only does 1 die damage. Even a ST 8 wizard does that same damage with an untrained maul. And it starts to really pay dividends when you have a high-ST wizard.

>From a character/flavor standpoint, the gandalf-style wizard's staff is really more of a club than a quarterstaff, anyway. I do like the idea of a staff spell being a wand or something similar, though.

Is the above game-breaking mini/maxing? Not at all. All you save is the one talent/spell point you'd spend on staff. And there is a consequence to it...the advantage of staff spell is your hands are always considered free for spell casting. But I like more martial wizards ready to lay the wood down (literally).