Re: (TFT) Hirst Arts Melee/Wizard Arena

Well, it seems I'm up against presentation problems yet again...
On top of it, I've got to spend a "board pulling, cable plugging" day sometime soon.
That stuff used to be interesting, now it's just a pain in me tuckus, but my current set up is so cobbled together as to be comical.
The one k-flex modem I've got is sitting on a board w/64megs of physical memory.
I mean com'on Jay....
Anyhoo, I've got some maps and other pic stuff that I'm figuring out web pages for.
I'll pony up for a site in the next few weeks as I get more of these issues dealt with, right now I'm new at these and trying to adjust my templates, and it don't make no since to pay for 5 or 6 pages.

So right now, I'm curious as to a presentation issue.

I handle stuff like "I start digging" with reference material.
At the Arch Mages house I use; 'Atlas of the Pacific Northwest'.
Pg. 39 gives the region as volcanic rock with small areas of intrusions.
Pg. 62 describes the top soil as a cryumbert (think the colours umber) inceptisol (developing soils with a thin organic layer over clay).
Pg. 101 shows Diatomite (abrasive, and pottery glaze) is mined in the county, and Henline Mountain was named after an early settler who had a mine claim there.
The rest of the chapter on Minerals shows a slight potential for gold in the region, but occurring as complex ores.
As a matter of fact, surprisingly, left to it's own resources, this region would likely be bronze biased.
See the production of the Coeur d'Alene mining district in Idaho.

The other thing I use are a couple of old college Geology textbooks that have quite a bit of cross-sectional views of different geological features.
I have pictures for stuff like "areas of slight intrusion".

I've got some scattered information pulled together over the years for dig times through various materials.
Stuff like Saladin's sappers in one engagement were tunneling about 100' a day, which is remarkable (dwarf speed maybe? But I'm not sure of the rock type).

Mohs hardness scale for "scratch or be scratched (it even uses a knife blade)"
Cleavage patterns, the "general" age of sedimentary rock, and similar info would probably be "known" by dwarfs, etc.

I'm not trying to dictate the pST of every single rock on the planet, not even of the exact same type.
Some stones may be flawed and require healing for instance.
I'm more trying to speak of the idea of rock and how to share a standard idea in games terms that a GM may then modify by comparison, making the idea clearer to everybody.

I'm thinking of an imaginary rock that I want to be much stronger than anything on the known, current, Earth.

That's a little vague...

But if we agree on even loose interpretations of some of this real world data into game-terms, then I could describe the stuff relative to existing, defined stuff, like basalt.
The fantasy stuff is x density, x hardness, x cleavage, etc.
I'll use it in place of all the volcanic flow basalt in the Pacific Northwest.
And just for peeps and poops,  I'm gonna colour the stuff deep purple, almost black.

Oh, neat! I didn't know the masonry room looked quite like that.

Of course the players, (and some of the more powerful NPC's) get to build outta the same stuff.

Oh, and here's a weird little P.S.

A balanced economy in a region is one in which the coinage is a rough approximation of the amount of work required to bring home the regions production for a given cycle.
Imbalances on either side can cause sufficient problems as to initiate adventure opportunities.
Or something along those lines.