Re: Sailing War (was: Re: (TFT) Hirst Arts Melee/Wizard Arena)

"The average day of e-mails from Jay produces an
aggregate power consumption equivalent to burning 24 square miles of
tropical rainforest, giving him a carbon footprint the size of Detroit."

This is one and a half section/township hexes in area a day.

lol

Craig Barber (sp?) wrote a post... uhhhh... hummm... last summer?
Search the list for "Breaking Things".

I'd propose the following changes.

>From an old post;
"Ductile materials are defined by their elastic limit, yield point, and ultimate strength.
The elastic limit can be thought of as the point at which a material deformation permanently sets or in other words dents.
Stresses applied below a materials elastic limit don't leave dents, force above said limit causes dents, and unit stresses exceeding a materials ultimate strength leaves holes.

For structural steel I have figures of 36,000lbs per inch for an elastic limit, and 70,000psi for ultimate strength.
This dents 1/32nd inch thick steel @ > 11pts dam and breaches @ > 21pts dam."

So I propose something like the above for the break scores.
In the above example, damage between 11 and 20 points "damages" a weapon (Boromier's sword in the Baskshie (sp?) version of LOR)
21 is a break for 1/32nd inch thick blades.
I don't know, halflings maybe?
The replica katana I have has a blade an eighth of an inch thick at the back.
That's 44 to 83 points to "damage" and 84 points (i.e. 840ish pounds force) and up to break.

I'd like to define fine weapon bonus through metallurgy and forging techniques, but I'll need more data I think...

Maybe adapt Mohs hardness scale to "natural" armour?
Allow for cleavage patterns and other properties.

Cinnabar
HgS Dark red, earthy to metallic luster.
Hardness 2 - 2 1/2
Used to make Vermilion red pigment.
Cinnabar occurs in earthy masses or scattered in opal.
The ore is found mostly near the surface, close to volcanic rock and hot springs.
Deposits occur in California and Nevada in the U.S. and in China, Spain and Yugoslavia.
As Vlad Tepes and his kin were running around the Transylvanian Alps in the 1400's, and I've got the cinnabar in Vojvodina, north of the Danube.
Maybe not the best time and place to invest in a mine...

Maybe add dice to the roll w/o "leverage?