(TFT) Re: definitions of stats - and stuff - for Jay

--------Jay wrote:-----------------------------------------
The door is closeing on definitions of TFT statistics.

If I don't hear disenting oppinions by the end of this week then this topic belongs to me.

I may just stick with the basics.  You know, one ST is the difference between being beaten uconscious and being beaten to death.  Also the difference in ST needed between wielding a broadsword and a bastard sword.  Also the amount of dam that a small sheild stops.

I am OK with the idea of game abstractions being described in game mechanics (which we have already covered).  So I am good with the "definitions" above.

On the other hand, don't let me rain on your parade.  You should absolutely define every term in the manner that makes you happy.

ALSO . . .
-----------more Jay----[snipped for cbrevity and clarity]-----------
If my attempts are worthless, TELL ME!

I'm trying to provide information and ideas that will help inspire...
[snip]
I want THIS to be the "Universal" system.
Is there no love for that idea on THIS list?
[snip]
Why don't some of y'all SHARE some of your ideas?
We can make something that'll TEACH the kids, rather than just show 'em this stuff is
only good for killing things.
And not even good at that.

Your attempts are not worthless (scattered perhaps, and sometimes confusing, but not worthless) unless YOU think they are worthless.

Don't go making a Universal system that tracks the movement of peoples and nations and continental drift over time, and calculates the maximum number of potatoes that a given region can produce (both before and after squeezig out the barley production), on our account.  Certainly not on my account.

Do it, because you enjoy doing it, and/or expect to enjoy having the results when you are done.  It's a game after all.

And don't worry for a minute about us sharing our ideas.  Nobody on this list is overly shy or retiring.  There are thousands of posts in the archives, and a bunch of web pages, full of ideas from list members.  they may not all be applicable to your Civ/Dominion,GURPS/TFT/World Almanac hybrid project, but hey are certainly out there.  And whenever I can read your posts and actually extract a little understanding (less often lately I am afraid) I will gladly comment to provide a different point of view.

Also, I would not wory about having teh game "teach" kids stuff.  Kids learn all sort of social iteraction things from games, by definition.  And as for learnng FACTS, they don't have to be in teh text of the game.  How many of us, after playing TFT (or D&D, or another game) were inspired to go out and research stuff.  I know I looked into a few works on castle development and construction, and visited the Met and the Cloisters, to view a few actual weapon and armor displays.  My personal favorite being the Mace with a pistol for a handle. :-).  A fun game that uses the imagination, and inspires curiosity, and gets kids to go become better informed, will teach the kids just fine.

Really, do it because you enjoy it, don't worry about the next generation of gamers needing all the worlds facts laid out for them, they can always just google it.

And finally, TFT ROCKS at killing tings.

John