Re: (TFT) Re: definitions of stats - and stuff - for Jay

Isn't that a factor of what the GM presents or permits in their game?  In
the Darkover novels there was a cultural taboo against missile weapons.  If
you were going to kill someone you should do it in close combat, so the foe
had a chance to kill you also.  Anyone using missile weapons, whether it was
bows, rayguns, psionics, was considered dishonorable or a coward.

I once ran a scenario that required the characters to accept a geas against
killing because the artifact they sought was a Staff of Life (Rod of Seven
Parts that I wrote up where the item had all the great healing and curing
powers.)  It was a blast; the characters could fight to defend themselves
but had to show restraint in not killing their foes.  They could use
non-lethal attacks, subdual, etc. when they absolutely had to fight.  In
some instances they used diplomacy, stealth or trickery to avoid combat
where normally they would not have made the effort.  It was the scenario and
that the players knew I was open to different ways to achieve their goals
that made it work.

The game we are all here to talk about is based on combat and the use of
weapons and spells while engaging in combat.  Do you want to work up
non-lethal means to do battlefield control?  Things like caltrops or marbles
to cause foes to pause, change direction; anything that can stop a charge
from an opponent.  We have spells like Darkness to interfere with spell
casting.  There are spells that can disrupt foes without killing them.

Do you  want more spells that are non-deadly, could be used to effect
everyday life more than adventuring?  That's not unreasonable.  Part of the
reason I was looking around for TFT info on the net was because I was
dissatisfied with the new direction of D&D.  It took out a lot of the
non-combat spells and made tactics primarily what the game gave you instead
of what you could conceive using the game rules. That was where I thought it
emulated a computer game more than the pen and paper game I had played
before.