Re: (TFT) Swords & Sails

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:09 AM, David O. Miller
<davidomiller@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2009, at 9:24 AM, Sgt Hulka wrote:
>> I was a little bit surprised to see the game being used the way David O.
>> Miller uses it, and the way I've been using it lately, as a miniatures
>> wargame skirmish system (the article's author even recommended 1/72 scale
>> plastic historical models to use in the scenarios) instead of a man-to-man
>> ultra tactical RPG system (like the Death Test series and the other
>> Microquests).
>
> I've always felt that TFT is a better wargame skirmish rule set more than it
> is a role playing game.

I'd have to dig out my old white-cover Melee, but IIRC it mentioned
this use as a "plug in" to other games that lacked a tactical engine.
At the time, that was most of them.

While only a couple of the early games acknowledged the influence TFT
had on them (RQ, Champions, and of course GURPS), the ancestry of the
tactical combat systems in 3rd and 4th ed D&D is *really* obvious if
you have the context.