Re: (TFT) Swords & Sails

I haven't tried your rules yet; I'm still busy painting my toys. But yours are so much more complete than the ones offered below. The scenario I was gonna play was a Viking Longship assaulting a Kogge. The Kogge stands higher in the water, giving it a defensive advantage. Your rules provide a way to model that advantage in a precise way.

I actually like morale rules in a player versus player skirmish game, especially a "warband" (Mordheim) style game where the players are, to some degree, pretending to be the leaders of the warband. I was impressed by the ones offerred in the article...simple, easy to execute, and something we've all seen in movies. And I think you could easily expand the rule slightly with Into the Labyrinth. Maybe it's normally a 4D rule but 3D if the leader has Charisma. Maybe "New Followers" don't ever have to roll. Maybe add a die if the leader is a different race than his followers. And so on.

As long as the number of dice rolled can be calculated and set before the game begins, it maintains its simplicity. Where I think this rule might become too complicated is when different factors in the game itself alters the roll or forces rolls (the good old "once a unit has taken half casualties, make a morale roll...if a unit is in dissaray, it is -1 to morale"...and so forth).