(TFT) Converting D&D Characters to TFT

Has anyone tried this? What method did you use?

I'm not looking for something super-accurate. Just something consistent that keeps the "feel" of the two systems.

For example, I was thinking first-level characters are 32-point TFT characters and they gain one point per level (simple). So a fifth-level D&D character would be a 36-point TFT character.

The only trouble I see with that system is that some characters won't be as tough in TFT as they are in D&D. For example, a crafty Alchemist enocuntered in a shop in D&D who's a fifth level fighter, uses a longsword, and has 15 intelligence...the intelligence in that case is just a "bonus" to the D&D character. It doesn't effect that character's ability to fight...it still fights as a 5th level fighter.

But converting it using the simple method I outlined, it's a 36-point character with a minimum ST of 12 (broadsword). To accurately reflect its high Intelligence you'd have to give it an IQ 13 (Alchemy). That leaves his DX at 11. So even though it's technically a 36-point character, its only as combat-effective as a 31 point character. Then again, it saves against illusions really well and you could cherry-pick some nice combat talents and maybe give it a spell or two (like stone skin or blur) and say his longsword is bronze (2-1 damage). So maybe the system works, after all.

Obviously, a lack of healing magic creates a huge difference between the two games, but apart from that...

Just to provide some background information...I like TFT better than D&D, but I love me some D&D adventures and Campaign Worlds (Judges Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy in particular). So all this talk about square to hex and D&D conversion is basically trying to figure out how to convert some of that old stuff to use with the TFT system.