Re: (TFT) Interesting re: Thrown Pole Weapons

Ah, the semi-annual damage discussions... The usual mantra is that two-handed weapons need to deal more damage than single-hand weapons, or they're not a viable choice. Pole weapons do less than other 2-handers because they get double damage on a charge (and the same holds true for the rare single-hand pole weapon). More dice means more max damage, but lower minimum. More plus means less max, but higher minimum. 1+2 vs. 2-1? If I know they're wearing leather or less, and I've got weapon poison, I'll take the ax every time. Sure the mace gets a slightly better average, but if I'm fighting a ST12 guy w/ no armour, the ax will take a maximum of 4 hits to kill him. The mace has a maximum of 12 hits to kill him.
So do you want consistency, or maximum?

For a short while, I did experiment with allowing a sliding damage dice scale. For example, a ST 12 guy using a broadsword could do something other than 2D6 damage. He could choose to strike for 1+4 (min. 5, avg. 7.5, max 10), or 2+0 (min. 2, avg. 7 max 12), or 3-4 (min 0, avg 6.5, max 14), or even 4-8 (min 0, avg. 6, max. 16), on up. This was an attempt to simulate taking a high-percentage shot or a hail mary. Basically, one traded minimum and average damage for a greater maximum. It really didn't catch on, but some of you guys who want a more heroic campaign might like it better. Then again, I also experimented with allowing a defend option where the weapon used could either do like a standard defend and add a die to the attack roll, or take off a point of damage like a small shield. There, you're trading a possibility of having the attack miss altogether with an assurance of damage reduction. Again, it slowed things down a bit and didn't catch on.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com