Re: (TFT) Stupid but Gifted

PS.. I don't mean to suggest that you can get by as a thief with 8IQ.  It was just an exaggeration on a theme.  You obviously need IQ for your specialized talents.  I'm just suggesting a character with no weapons talents.

----- Original Message ----
From: Richard Walters <rick.walters@yahoo.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:02:51 AM
Subject: (TFT) Stupid but Gifted

Have you ever met a person in your life so just seems to be able to pick up just about any ball, bat, tool or item and just know how to use it?  Have you thought that this might put a strain on the Mele talents notion?  I mean, it seems to suggest that a sword and an axe are both weapons that you swing and hit things with.  And maybe they're not different enough to justify a separate talent.

But I stongly disagree with this premise.  To me, the person you're thinking of is just a person with a reasonably high dexterity.  They might have a 16 DX meaning that they don't need a weapon talent to pick up a sword and strike at a adj 12 DX.

So, thinking on this a bit, I wanted to throw out the general question.  Do any of you have working characters with no weapons talents?  It seems to me that someone might start off a 32 point character with:

ST 10
IQ 8
DX 14

And then, instead of wasting two points on a weapon talent, they might choose all functional talents.  At the same time, they might wield a woodshed axe or something similar as a peasant would putting subsequent points on DX or ST and not on IQ.  So, let's extrapolate out 6 experience points to a 38 point character:

ST 12
IQ 8
DX 18

At this point, with only 6 points, the character is at that point where they can use any weapon they pick up at a adj 14 DX!

I don't know if this is really playable or not.  I was just wondering since it might be an option for the thief/spy type characters out there who want to put as many points on talents other than weapons and who will likely also have very high dex in order to do their job well.

Good Fortune,
Richard