Re: (TFT) Sci-Fi Weapons for TFT

I'd like to see the Snapshot rules some time. I always liked the original Snapshot cover art (the black and green one), which I think illustrates the importance of cover and fast sudden movements in close combat with guns or light-speed weapons. It seems far less believable or appropriate to me that any weapon which will go through a person's torso in one shot will do something like 1d6 damage with a low chance of doing any more - damage amount will be more about where such a weapon hits than the size of the weapon, and the power of the weapon will have much less to do with the strength of the person using it (compared to ancient/medieval weapons). So speed, accuracy, and tactics like taking cover, covering an area, suppression, pop-up and pop-around attacks, sneaking around and under obstacles with shots, tossing grenades, hiding around corners, etc., are what will make the most difference, and require more modifications to TFT than just having a lot of ranged weapons with no reload time and several shots before needing to be reloaded. Of course, body armor can reasonably add a little bit of a trade-off between heavy equipment and speed, and stronger characters can be less slowed and encumbered by heavy equipment and ammo. But if you use TFT's limited movement and combat action system, there isn't much room for firing around the edges of cover and sudden results of combat.

For example, the situation where someone is waiting around the corner of a doorway with a submachinegun while others try to move through the doorway. The real outcome is all about how they move through, and using different techniques to find threats on the other side of the doorway without getting immediately hurt, most of which techniques don't really have rules in TFT. Peeking with or without a weapon around a corner at different heights, sticking a body part or weapon or object quickly around some cover and yanking it back, training to all rush through a doorway in minimum time, slowly exposing only eye and weapon around the edge you expect the target, flying jumps with quick recovery to a firing position without losing orientation, communicating silent hand gestures, silent movement (hey, that's in ITL! ;-) ), and so on.