Re: (TFT) first Saturday in May?

This is the rest of 1914

Volume II

The Red Dawning of "Der Tag", the first German dash for world-victory.

Austria Devastates Serbia (July 29-Aug. 23) The Serb victory of the Jadar.

Britain Asserts Control of the Seas (July 29) The first naval moves and the blockade of German commerce.

The Assault on Liege (Aug. 4-Aug. 15) Belgium amazes the world by her resistance.

Belgium's Agony - Germany officially adopts a policy of suppression.

Turkey Lends Support to Germany (Aug. 10) She shelters the fleeing German warships.

The French Invade Alsace and Lorraine ( Aug. 7-20) Germany wins the battle of Lorraine.

The "Battle of the Frontiers" (Aug. 20-Sep. 5) and the retreat to the Marne.

The Destruction of Louvain (Aug. 25-27) The culmination of German 'Militarism'.

Tannenburg, Russia's First Disaster (Aug. 26-Sep. 2) The Lemberg Defeat Reduces Austria to German vassalage.

The Abandonment of Paris (Sep. 3) Withdrawal of the French Government to Bordeaux.

The Turning of the Tide (Sep. 1-7) The attack on eastern France broken at the Grand Couronne.

The Battle of the Ourcq (Sep. 5-8) The "Taxicab Army that saved Paris".

The Marne (Sep. 6-11) The battle that saved France.

The German Rally on the Aisne (Sep. 12-20) The beginning of trench warfare.

The Submarine's First Triumph (Sep. 22) Three British warships sunk by a solitary U-Boat.

Capture of Antwerp "The Impregnable Fortress"
(articles by)
Sir A. Conan Doyle, the noted British author.
Winston Churchill, British Minister of Naval affairs.
Commander De Gerlache De Gommery, Belgian soldier and statesman.
General Von Falkenhayn, German Chief of Staff.
Gustav Feller, German historian.

Battle of the Yser (Oct. 16-30) Belgium opens her dykes to save a fragment of her territory.

Ypres: the Struggle for the English Channel (Oct. 26-Nov. 15) Germany almost reverses the Marne decision.

Canada Rushes to Britain's Aid (Oct.-Dec.) The largest armada that had ever crossed the ocean.

Germany Looses Her African Possessions (Oct.-Dec.) Botha crushes the revolt in South Africa.
(See The Brouderbund (not software))

Turkey Declares War (Oct. 29) She seeks to draw all Mohammedans into a "Holy War".

The Capture of Tsing-tau (Nov. 7) Japan expels Germany from the Far East.

Failure of the German Advance on Warsaw (Nov. 19-Dec.6) Poland is ground between the millstones.

Kragujevatz, Serbia's Last Victory (Dec. 3-15) The reconquest of Belgrade.

The Sea Fights in the Southern Ocean (Nov. 1 and Dec. 8) Britain drives the Germans from the high seas.

And that's the way it was; June 28th on, 1914; I'm not Walter Cronkite or Chevy Chase and your not.

?

Anyway, there's 5 more years, more or less (less), but I'd like to make a point here.
The more power you give to players, the less a Timeline is gonna help you.

What we have currently is sufficient for Figures that aren't involved in the decision making process of the overall strategy, like a grunt private or a non-combatant.
If the players Figures fall into these categories, the outcomes of these larger scale Actions are gonna be predetermined.
You don't need to use a historical Timeline, but from the POV that we're discussing here, the players mainly bear witness to major events and the basic goal is survival.

There is another side of this and here is the balance point between the two.

'Source Records of the Great War VII'
Appended
'The War With Germany a statistical summary'
- Col. Leonard P. Ayres

Chapter 2
SIX MONTHS OF TRAINING

The Divisions
"The Infantry soldier was trained in the division, which was our typical combat unit.
In the American Army it was composed of about 1000 officers and 27,000 men."

(Some stuff about merging two different divisions in depot brigades of about 10,000 men for purposes of mixing Talents.)

"Before the signing of the armistice there were trained and sent overseas 42 American divisions.
The training of 12 more was well advanced, and there were 4 others that were being organized.
The plans on which the Army was acting called for 80 divisions overseas before July, 1919, and 100 divisions by the end of that year."

Which is validated by the tomes American Legion registration information which reads in part.

Private Asa Roland Miller
Entered U.S. Army August 15, 1918 at Norman, Oklahoma, as Private, Infantry.
Assigned to Aviation Section, Peen Field, Austin, Texas.
Graduated from Peen Field Radio School as Wireless Operator.
Discharged from service January 19, 1919 at Camp Bowie, Fort Worth, Texas, as Private, Aviation Section.

So if your Figure is commanding a division then you have a Figure in the next scale level of the fight.
At this point each battle can be heavily impacted by the Actions of a player.
On first blush, this would seem to complicate a Timeline immensely.
I think it becomes more focused with the assignment of goals.
I'll leave this here for now.

Oh yes, either I'm not the only person who watched that hot mess of a match yesterday and reached similar conclusions or else if FIFA monitors the TFT mailing List and took me quite seriously.
Either way, the fella was smuggled out of the country yesterday.
Seeing as I have enough mental problems I choose to think that maybe a whole bunch of people in London might have had similar feelings.
I was trying to set up how Unhappiness in large scale games like Civ is the same rule as Moral in smaller scale mass combat and similar situations.
I forget that I follow weird sports for someone of my geographical location.
I wonder what that'd look like if they got to punch the ball also?
I mean EVERYONE not just Barcelona
When enough people say no...

"Ahhhh, no. I welcome imperial encroachment upon provincial authority."
- D.D.Dongalore, Provisional Chancellor, Hesimiel.

(Do they REALLY meet at the Frenulum (sp?) cavern at the base of Mt. Hood? Cause that's a LOT nastier than anything I've ever come up with... pretty funny too)

"Yessss wellll, myself and my infant sons thank you."
- Barnabus

Now 5 second turns apparently require a bit more expostulation.
One of the reasons I babble about the squares in a square hex is because I can follow the steps taken in an animals run say, and apply its top speed to the stride pattern to get info like where exactly is the warhorse placing its hoofs during a run down the lists.

Movement in a straight line is about the simplest example of how to time an Action to a turn.
A 5 second turn of movement w/o maneuvers or similar complications, just straight forward, is how many steps of a given length can be made in 5 seconds.
Of course distance will vary with the size of the Figures stride.

Using head-units I can scale steps for something like the batting stance stride difference between a halfling, human and giant using the same swing say, or even finer differences if you want.
Can Aragorn fit into Legolas' mail?

Now there are tons of things I can measure and time (at least generally) this way.
Pass routes, fencing moves, katas, etc.
It's the 5 second thing.

Ouch!

Nobody is gonna like this, but 5 second turns is a combat CRT.

Think about it.

You are most assuredly NOT in control of the movements of your Figure in a TFT Melee in any direct way, rather you are more like a coach or a pokemon trainer, preparing your Figure for the big fight or game and sending in the next play every 5 seconds.

Now I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this at all, I'm just making sure that there's a clear view of what a 5 second turn means.

If you want more detail you gotta cut down the turn length.

Reality for humans seems to run @ ~0.25 to 0.20ish seconds per turn, or about 20 to 25 times faster than TFT.
Beyond this is initiative or "Action time", a.k.a. "how fast can you see?"

If I just crank it down to 1 second turns I'm only 4 or 5 times faster than TFT while being 4 or 5 times slower than reality.
So if I count out the steps in an Action over a second...

Still not making sense?