Re: (TFT) ST Aid Questions

Hi all.

Let us call this an "update".

As per recent discussions and posts, it seems that theory time is about over and production time is now in full swing.
I apologize to anyone I may have offended over the last few months, but the civil war in my head over production has been sufficient to render me a little more than slightly crazy.
Einstein had his nervous breakdown over relativity, I pulled mine over a little board game they sold for a couple of bucks in a ziplock baggie.
Needless to say that the rational cells in my head had a LOT to say about devoting what little time I have left to such a inauspicious cause.
My god, the war was a horrible beauty!
Guess who won?

Which brings me to a point made about this medium what I'm a typing at and now your reading.

I think the main part of the problem is me.
The good lord knows what that I don't go to much trouble in censuring myself.
Even I read myself sometimes and just shake my head, but if I don't just open the damn faucet and pour the junk out I'd NEVER get anything written down.
I have actually filled notebooks, emptied pens, sharpened pencils to the nub and filled floppy disks with Jay babble.
It sure took me long enough, but I have this perfection issue.
I want everything to come out as a finished product and when I couldn't make that happen I'd get frustrated with myself and hang it up.
That's when I actually had dreams of a normal life.
The Muse says no, it's not gonna work that way.
Your gonna have to babble.
My current guess is something on the order of 2500 pages of total Jay babble, more or less.
As production speeds up I figure that the ratio of an actual finished page to Jay babble is somewhere between 1:100 and 1:1000
Editing is a real bitch.
Anyway, it's no real wonder that no one gets me, and even that's not entirely true.

< 	In game-writing terms, and backing off a bit on the focus, I
would recommend two (or possibly more) parameters that describe the
"health" of a population in mental/emotional terms.

	The first would be something like "emotional stability",
"moral fiber", or similar and relates to the average citizen's desire
to "do the right thing". On a personal scale, in a society where this
number is very low, having your cart break down by the side of the
road means you'll probably get robbed. Where it's very high, you'll
probably get a ride to the next town and your cart will still be
there when the cartwright brings you back with a new wheel. On a
societal scale, the economic productivity of a society would
positively correlate with this number, due to minimal vandalism or
theft, not many resources spent on justice system or security, etc.

	The second would be "entrepreneurship" or something similar.
This represents a combination of the educational level and the
independent spirit and zest for innovation in the society. Higher
numbers here would correlate with faster technological innovation, as
well as a higher rate of infrastructure creation, and hence again
there would be a positive correlation between this number and
economic productivity. (I could certainly see an argument for
breaking this further into "education" and "independence". For
example, in Ming China, education was pretty good (among the upper
classes) but innovation was *not* valued.) >

and...

< I don't have a good way to generate rules on this, as there
are a *lot* of factors (technological advance being perhaps the
hardest to nail down). >

People get me more than I give them credit for.

< sighs >

Okay, GRIPES will go up as a website around the end of summer.
The first game is gonna be Track and Field, NOT combat.
This necessitates a cut back on the babble which I'm sure is welcome news for most if not all here on this list.
I will however offer what direct fixes I have of the broken or missing stuff in TFT proper here.

Uhhh, let's see here...

IQ 8
Magic Fist (M): A telekinetic blow.
Does 1d-2 Damage per point of fST used in force.

This is an interesting progression with something like a third of the time having no effect, a third of the time hitting for around 2 points damage, and another third of the time popping for 4 points of damage.
It assumes that the wizard in question has a "mental" ST of 11-12 for each "punch" according to the HTH Damage Table.

Of course, "I" thought this was supposed to be a "telekinetic" blow...
Wouldn't a wizard use their IQ on the HTH Dam Table instead of ST?

Anyway, this also seems to imply a point of fST per blow.

And of course there is the issue of the 6 point DX check which doesn't match up with Reactions To Injury, itself screwed up scalewise.

I pulled that from some stuff I've been doing on the Spell Table, I'm on IQ 14 Telepathy right now.
Let's not even talk about Staff yet, that's a LONG one.

So anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm taking the advice of more than one person and shutting up and doing it.
Again, GOMANDI is Got Off My Ass 'N Did It.

So now that that's been said let me get back to Mr. T's comments.

I have heard a lot of commentaries on Machiavelli bitch about his "inconsistent" use of the term "Virtu" usually translated virtue.
God I love Machiavelli!

"But what he never explicitly recognizes is that this "virtue" which is presupposed in the citizen of a free state must be something very different from that "combination of intellect and force," directed to the end of individual pre-eminence, to which he gives the name of "virtue" elsewhere."
- Foster

That's someone who doesn't understand what he read.

Your comments sir indicate that you get the idea of the differences betwixt Virtus and Virtue .
It's the same coin.
In a healthy society it behooves a virtuous man to work for his pre-eminence within society, elseif.

Which brings up another point.

< 1) *Losing* a war will total your economy. No more factories, no more
farms, no more infrastructure. Hope you like the stone age, that's
where you are now. By definition, a civil war is "lost" by up to half
of the country, so civil wars always fall into this category. >

So I repeat...
Needless to say that the rational cells in my head had a LOT to say about devoting what little time I have left to such a inauspicious cause.
My god, the war was a horrible beauty!
Guess who won?

Even the shrewd and clever find a hedonic calculation difficult.

Let your illustrious House therefore take upon itself this charge with all the courage and all the hopes with which a just cause is undertaken; so that under your standard this our country may be ennobled, and under your auspices be fulfilled the words of Petrarch:
Virtu contra furore
Prendera l'arme, e fia il combatter' corto;
Che l'antico valore
Nelli Jayite cor non e ancor morto.

(Brief will be the strife
When virtue arms against barbaric rage;