Re: (TFT) Megahex vs Long 7-hex Dragon

On Jun 12, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Sgt Hulka wrote:

Is there any sort of squeezing rule in TFT I'm not thinking of? I'm trying to think if there's a way for a megahex dragon to squeeze through the two-hex spaces where megahexes attach to each other.

Not in official TFT cannon there isn't. But TFT was meant to be played with flat counters on a flat hex sheet. Personally, once I graduated up to 3D terrain I had to relax this rule. Otherwise it just didn't make any sense.

I tackled this problem on my downloadable booklet about 3rd dimensional TFT. I did not go into detail about how narrow a space a larger figure could fit through, mainly because it would really all depend on the shape of the figure. For example a seven hex snake could fit through places a 7 hex turtle could not. If you are playing with a GM it all sort of comes down to using fair, common sense. Any of what I've written below could be applied to a flat terrain board as well.

David O. Miller

The whole thing is available at: http://www.meleewizards.com/rules.html

Here's an excerpt:

Multi Hex Figures and Hex Tiles:
Its a simply fact of table top gaming that multi hex figures start becoming difficult to physically maneuver and place on a 3 dimensional terrain board. Whereas a real figure could twist and turn to match the landscape, ridged metal miniatures do not. I have found that 2 and 3 hex figures work pretty well with Heroscapes hex tiles. The secret with the 3 hex miniatures is to not make the bases too large. That way you can place them a little easier into the terrain. I have found that the large monster size bases made by Games Workshop make pretty good bases for 3 hex figures and fit the scale and size of the Heroscape hexes. They can, however, make it look like the attacking figures are a little far away from the 3 hex figure. The real problem is with the 4 and 7 hex creatures.

Again I try to make the bases for these figures smaller so they can be fit into the terrain. By the way, the dragon that comes with the basic Heroscape set makes a pretty good 4 hex dragon.

A 2 hex horseman must keep both of its hexes either on the same level or one level higher or lower. (It can never overhang one of its hexes over a drop off. If it does so it will fall.) Always use the front hex of the rider/horse to determine which hex to measure Height from.

A 3 hex figure can actually squeeze through some pretty tight areas. Always lead with the front hex ignoring the rear two hexes while moving (its assumed it squeezes through narrow areas). A 3 hex figure must, however, always end his movement with 2 of his hexes on the same level. The third hex can overhang any size drop off or be one hex higher. However, while he is thus off balance, the figure is at a - 2 DX. Measure Height from the level, main two hexes of the 3 hex figure to what ever hex you are targeting.

A 4 hex figure must always end his movement with 3 of its hexes on the same level. The fourth hex can overhang any size drop off or be one hex higher. However, while he is thus off balance, he is at a - 2 DX. As with the 3 hex figure, lead with a single hex while moving or use common sense when determining whether the creature could fit.

A 7 hex figure must always end his movement with 4 of its hexes on the same level. The other 3 hexes can overhang any size drop off or be one hex higher. However, while he is thus off balance, he is at a - 2 DX. As with the 3 hex figure, lead with a single hex while moving or use common sense when determining whether the creature could fit.

Optional Rule: Another solution (which Im not fond of but works) is to make your 3 hex miniatures fit onto one hex but give them all of the properties and abilities of a 3 hex figure. Again, the Games Workshop large monster size bases fit a single Heroscape hex pretty well and its easy to tell at a glance that the base is definitely bigger and thus a 3 hex type of figure. This solves a lot of the problems with movement. In the same regard a 4 hex figure could be represented by a 2 hex figure and a 7 hex by a 4 hex. Again, not the greatest solution but one that could be worked out.